[openrtm-users 02708] Re: Fwd: [openrtm-beginners:00389] OpenHRP3 Questions

Hajime SAITO h.saito @ generalrobotix.com
2012年 11月 12日 (月) 11:34:01 JST

Hello,

The advantage in using OpenHRP3 would simply be the fact that the dynamics
simulator is pretty accurate and is being actively used for humanoid robot
control. Other advantages that derive from this are that you have other
useful things like collision detection and collision force calculation
ready prepared, and forward kinematics pretty much out of the box. I think
the force calculation is pretty good now compared to OpenHRP2 so it should
help in gait generation.

Inverse kinematics is available but uses recursion so using it in real-time
can be tricky, but using Rosen's OpenRAVE you can generate C++ code that
can give you an analytic solution, and this can be plugged into OpenHRP.
The problem is that the tutorial is yet to be written.

The other advantage to using OpenHRP in combination with OpenRTM is that
the real-time aspects are actually dealt with. I don't think ROS claims
real-time, although a lot of applications require it to some degree or the
other. With gait control I think real-time a definite requirement, however
if you use a static gait, then real-time can also be avoided.

The bridge to ROS adds the possibility to use planning, vision and various
other ROS components but as you mentioned you aren't interested in this
yet...

Best regards,

Hajime